Ichigo Daifuku with Chef Ueta April 12, 2015 23:55
Spring is here and we’re making a delicious Japanese sweet called ichigo daifuku. A fresh strawberry wrapped in sweet bean paste and a sticky rice cake, this treat is perfect when you’re out enjoying the cherry blossoms. Make a bunch and take them on your next picnic. They’re sure to please!
Be sure to send us a photo when you do!
Shiratamako (sticky rice cake powder)
Koshian (smooth sweet bean paste)
Katakuriko (potato starch)
MOCHI PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Add equal parts shiratamako and water into a large bowl.
2. Add 4% of the quantity of shiratamako of granulated sugar to the mixture.
3. Mix well.
4. Microwave at 500 watts for 2 minutes.
5. Mix again.
6. Microwave at 500 watts for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
7. Remove mixture from bowl and place in a shallow pan filled with katakuriko.
8. Allow mixture to cool.
STRAWBERRY PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Cut stems off strawberries.
2. Coat stem side of strawberries with koshian.
3. Place on work surface with the tip of the strawberries facing up.
ICHIGO DAIFUKU INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Pinch off enough mochi to cover each strawberry with a thin layer.
2. Dust mochi with katakuriko.
3. Stretch mochi over top of strawberries allowing the red of the strawberry to show through slightly.
4. Pinch closed the mochi around the bottom of the strawberries.